What you need to know about crossing the UK border from 1st January 2021.

Updated: Dec 29, 2020


The transition period following the UK’s departure from the EU is set to end Dec. 31st which will impact businesses and travellers operating between the two.

Irish citizens will continue to be able to enter and live in the UK as they do now. EU, EEA and Swiss citizens will continue to be able to travel to the UK for holidays or short trips without needing a visa. You’ll be able to cross the UK border using a valid passport which should be valid for the whole time you are in the UK. You will not be able to use an EU, EEA or Swiss national ID card to enter the UK from 1st October 2021 unless you:

  • have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme

  • have an EU Settlement Scheme

  • family permit

  • have a frontier worker permit

  • are an S2 Healthcare Visitor

  • are a Swiss Service Provider

In these cases, you can continue to use your national ID card to enter the UK until at least 31st December 2025. If you’re a non-EEA family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen You will need a valid national passport, and one of the following:

  • an EU Settlement Scheme family permit

  • a UK-issued EEA family permit

  • a UK-issued biometric residence card

You will not be able to use an Article 10 or Article 20 residence card issued by an EEA member state.

Healthcare in the UK EEA and Swiss citizens visiting the UK should check the guidance on healthcare for the latest information on access to NHS healthcare.

Driving in the UK Visitors with a non-UK driving licence will still be able to drive in the UK. You do not need an international driving permit (IDP). If you have vehicle insurance issued in the EU, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia or Switzerland, you should carry an insurance green card or other valid proof of insurance. To be valid, other proof of insurance must be a document issued by the vehicle insurance provider which includes the:

  • name of the insurance provider

  • number plate or other identifying particulars of the vehicle

  • period of insurance cover

  • If your vehicle is insured in a country outside the EU, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia or Switzerland, what you’ll need to do will depend on if your country is a member of the green card system.

  • If your country is a member, you will need to carry a green card.

  • If your country is not a member, your vehicle will need UK vehicle insurance.

Anticipate potential short-notice travel disruptions between the UK and EU from Jan. 1, 2021. Confirm transport schedules before setting out and build flexibility into itineraries. Allow additional time for customs and security procedures if traveling between the UK and the EU from Jan. 1st, 2021.

63 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Latest travel restrictions in France, Italy and UK.

Update France will from August 9th enforce new legislation that will make a health pass compulsory to board a plane or travel on an inter-city train. The pass has already been obligatory from July 21s

From 19 July, most restrictions will be lifted.

From 19th July, most COVID-19 restrictions will be lifted. Border controls, quarantine, testing, and self-isolation for positive COVID-19 cases and close contacts remain. From Monday 19th July you wil